Friday, July 1, 2011

Welcome Home!

Welcome home to my beautiful baby boy, Ryan Christopher Barrett! Born 6/15/11, weighing in at 7lbs 4oz, measuring 20.5in long at 9:02pm.





In the hospital, I was amazed at how calm Ryan was...barely crying at all & I would actually need to wake him up to eat! WHAT?! This is so completely different from Andrew & Evie who very quickly established an every 2 hour type of routine! He is most content just laying next to his mommy...he stole my heart instantly. He is so sweet and cuddly & warm and good baby smelling! :) By the time we got home, I had stopped telling people how much he was sleeping...I didn't want to jinx myself by bragging about getting 5-6 hours sleep in the hospital! He continued this trend at home too (and I'm still cautious to mention it out loud!) He was actually sleeping SO much that he wasn't gaining enough weight - I would wake him up to feed him, but if I tried any more frequently than 3 hour intervals he'd be too tired to eat! I let him sleep at night though & in just 2 1/2 short weeks have already enjoyed 2 full nights sleep! I fully expect him to wake up at some point, and then I will just totally appreciate all the rest he let me get in the beginning. He's just starting to have some brief periods of awakeness between feedings & naps, and I'm pleased to say that he stays relatively content. Such a difference from the first two! Andrew was always fine being held (until that point at night where the crying started!), and Evie just cried no matter what you did! So far, he hates to be cold & naked, which makes bathtime, diaper changes & clothing changes fun! He doesn't seem to mind chaos (it actually seems to calm him somehow!), or personal space invasion! He LOVES to be warm & cozy, so being swaddled up tight w/ way too many blankies is totally how he rolls! We even started to put a hot water bottle next to him at night to help him have that 'sleeping next to mommy' feeling that he loves! He is definitely the type of baby that makes you want to have more babies! Yes, this one stole my heart...my heart is full & content!



Meeting Andrew....

Andrew has been an absolutely AMAZING helper! He LOVES to hold the baby, and Ryan is so relaxed with him. Yesterday, while Andrew was holding him (so I could sweep & mop the floors) Ryan just about fell asleep in his arms. (insert 'awwww' here!). He has been just perfect helping to keep Evie entertained & even getting her dressed for me. He helps with the laundry, dishes and cleaning the floor...kinda makes me think something I've been doing is right! He's got such a soft tone when talking to his baby brother & Ryan really seems to respond to him. I feel so lucky to have him around!




Meeting Evie...

Oh, Evie -- she who is OBSESSED with her babies just doesn't quite know what to do with Ryan! She is such a sweetheart! When she first saw him in the hospital, she came running up yelling "baby! baby!", and when she went to hold him she reached out her arms and wrapped him in a big huge bear hug & pulled him to her! Then, she sits & stares at him...so careful not to move too much or be too loud...it is adorable. She is on constant baby patrol all day long, being such a big helper bringing me blankies, diapers, paci's, wipes, and always needing to know exactly where he is. She loves to 'help' his swing go back and forth, and help me get him out of bed, put the paci in his mouth, throw away dirty diapers... it's almost exhausting, but I LOVE how involved she wants to be & think it's adorable to watch her play 'little mama'! I am so lucky to have her around too!





Everyone is happy and healthy and right where they are supposed to be! The transition to my little family of 5 has been absolutely seemless, and I love how great all my kids are! My heart is complete and I couldn't ask for anything more...except maybe a minivan!




No comments: